My first week of maternity leave is over! Suffice to say it absolutely flew by. I honestly wish I had taken off the week before though because I find if I do too much in the morning then an afternoon nap is a must. I don't think I have ever felt this tired before hence why this post is a day late.

Anyway, on to my week;

01.  I received my first proper mothers day card. I say proper because for the previous 6 years they have always been from the cat. I wasn't expecting anything really so the boyfriend did good. You can check it out on my Instagram Stories. It is the cutest thing ever!

02.  I have caught up with all my jobs; washing, cleaning etc. I also baked some brownies which weren't even around long enough to Instagram. I even spent a bit of time doing what I could in the garden. The spring weather was just too nice to pass up and I guess it is just the nesting nature of pregnancy kicking in finally!

03.  My hospital bag is packed, and I ordered some gorgeous new slippers from ASOS as a mothers day treat to myself. They are the cosiest thing ever and I absolutely love the lilac colour.

04.  I also got my strep b test results. It is definitely not a test for the feint hearted. I nearly chickened out of doing it, but the fact that I had already paid £40 for it was the driving force behind me getting over myself and taking the plunge, literally. What they don't tell you is that 2 swabs are required. I will let you guess the rest.

Obviously the test is optional, and it is not provided on the NHS because basically one week you can test positive, and then the next week it is gone. My understanding of it is a little sketchy but in a nut shell we all have this type of bacteria living in our bodies, and sometimes it is active and other times it is not.  If it is active around the time of child birth it can be passed on to your baby with quite serious consequences. Although, if you test positive beforehand it just means that you will be given IV antibiotics at the birth of your baby to give them a little bit of protection.

I tested negative so I suppose for the peace of mind it was £40 well spent, but in reality it doesn't really mean very much unless I plan to give birth like, now.

05.  Next week I have made plans to go see Beauty and the Beast which I am beyond excited for. I have my 38 week midwife appointment even though I turn 39 weeks on Wednesday and I desperately want this next week to all about rest and the final preparations. The house is practically finished too, bar one final trip to Ikea.

Anyway, how was your week?


Love, Jo.


My first week of maternity leave is over! Suffice to say it absolutely flew by. I honestly wish I had taken off the week before though because I find if I do too much in the morning then an afternoon nap is a must. I don't think I have ever felt this tired before hence why this post is a day late.

Anyway, on to my week;

01.  I received my first proper mothers day card. I say proper because for the previous 6 years they have always been from the cat. I wasn't expecting anything really so the boyfriend did good. You can check it out on my Instagram Stories. It is the cutest thing ever!

02.  I have caught up with all my jobs; washing, cleaning etc. I also baked some brownies which weren't even around long enough to Instagram. I even spent a bit of time doing what I could in the garden. The spring weather was just too nice to pass up and I guess it is just the nesting nature of pregnancy kicking in finally!

03.  My hospital bag is packed, and I ordered some gorgeous new slippers from ASOS as a mothers day treat to myself. They are the cosiest thing ever and I absolutely love the lilac colour.

04.  I also got my strep b test results. It is definitely not a test for the feint hearted. I nearly chickened out of doing it, but the fact that I had already paid £40 for it was the driving force behind me getting over myself and taking the plunge, literally. What they don't tell you is that 2 swabs are required. I will let you guess the rest.

Obviously the test is optional, and it is not provided on the NHS because basically one week you can test positive, and then the next week it is gone. My understanding of it is a little sketchy but in a nut shell we all have this type of bacteria living in our bodies, and sometimes it is active and other times it is not.  If it is active around the time of child birth it can be passed on to your baby with quite serious consequences. Although, if you test positive beforehand it just means that you will be given IV antibiotics at the birth of your baby to give them a little bit of protection.

I tested negative so I suppose for the peace of mind it was £40 well spent, but in reality it doesn't really mean very much unless I plan to give birth like, now.

05.  Next week I have made plans to go see Beauty and the Beast which I am beyond excited for. I have my 38 week midwife appointment even though I turn 39 weeks on Wednesday and I desperately want this next week to all about rest and the final preparations. The house is practically finished too, bar one final trip to Ikea.

Anyway, how was your week?


Love, Jo.


4 comments

  1. Eeeeeek you're getting so close now Jo! How exciting, it literally could happen at any moment! All these things I'm learning, having never had a baby before myself, but hey, it sounds like you've got it all sussed! Alice xxx

    www.woodenwindowsills.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you can ever have everything completely sussed. To say pregnancy/having a baby is not what I expected is an understatement! x

      Delete
  2. I can't believe you're at the end of your pregnancy! Sounds like you're well prepared (well as prepared as you can be).

    I didn't know about the strep test and I have 3 kids. We live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how useful that test is really.. I guess it was just for peace of mind but in the hospital no one seemed bothered! x

      Delete

Contact

Powered by Blogger.

Instagram

© FLOURISH & BLOTTINGThe Basic Page