1 Mar 2017

My Pregnancy Sleeping Tips

I don’t think I have made it any secret that my sleep has been affected since becoming pregnant. I think I mention it here AND here. I just thought I would do a handy (well, I hope it is!) little post on my tips and tricks for a good nights snooze whilst pregnant.

Warm milk or Horlicks
There have been a couple of occasions when I have woken up hungry, more so in the third trimester, and a warm milk would have been the perfect antidote, not only does it help with pregnancy induced indigestion but also contributes towards the calcium intake that the baby needs (obvs, right?) It also fills your tummy up to combat those darn awful hunger pangs.

Pillow spray or dab of lavender
I tend to use This Works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray which I bought when it came as part of a set. I got the balm which you put on your pulse points too. I think lavender oil would work just as well though and is marginally cheaper. I find it quite relaxing and also part of my routine (see below).

Pregnancy Pillow 
My favourite, and all-time best piece of pregnancy kit. I have covered this item so many times but most recently in my Pregnancy Essentials post.

Loose fitting pyjamas
There is nothing worse than trying to sleep in constricting pjs, you will find this a lot in the third trimester especially. None of my clothes fit, let alone my pyjamas! It is definitely time to invest in some loose night shirts (or borrow your boyfriends tees for a little while) as these will come in handy when you go into labour too.

Don’t drink too much before bedtime
Bar the Horlicks or hot milk. You will have to get up for night-time loo breaks anyway you might as well try and decrease the frequency as much as you can!

Routine
Have a bedtime routine. This may sound like a strange one but the baby knows when it is time to rest and when it is time to ‘play’, and by play I mean use your ribs as a xylophone. I usually aim to be in bed by 9pm (yes, that’s right) and relaxing for at least an hour before I fall asleep. Whoever said being pregnant was glamourous was lying to us all.

Anxieties
I try and write down as much as I can in my diary during the day so when it comes to bedtime and during the night when I have been woken up by an unexpected bout of the baby hiccups I find it easier to fall back asleep. I have never suffered from insomnia before but there have been a couple of occasions when I have woken up in the middle of the night just worrying about everything. My coping mechanism for this is just to replay the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice in my head until I drift off again. I am not sure why this works for me, but it always has in moments of worry and uncertainty.

Napping
A bit counter intuitive you may think but I find I struggle to sleep more when I am overtired. It is definitely a pregnancy trait because if I was to nap under normal circumstances there is no way I would be able to sleep at night.

I hope this helps any sleepless nights you may be having! Let me know in the comments if you have anymore tips and tricks!

Love, Jo.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig