Surprise! You may, or may not, have already guessed that I am pregnant! Well done if you did though! I haven't exactly hidden it with my constant whinges of tiredness, and that whole bout of morning (noon and night) sickness that I had, but I tried to keep it as secret as I could. But with the first scan over and done with (phew!) I thought it was about time I let you all in on it.

I thought I would document this little journey of mine and I am really sorry if it's something you are not interested in, I promise I won't babble on too much about it. I completely understand though, it wasn't that long ago that I wrote a blog post about not really wanting children at the minute, and not wanting to conform to what other people my age where doing (you can read all about it here) but gosh! How things change.

And before you say it, it was planned. Although, I honestly thought it would take a little longer than it did! You know, really enjoy ourselves..? Nevermind! But if you are thinking about becoming pregnant now, or in the future I used this fabulous little app called PinkPad to see when I was ovulating, and I also used ovulation strips that I purchased from Amazon.. I don't do things by halves do I? However, PinkPad is also a great app for gaining a greater understanding of your periods, moods, and why you might feel the way you do at a certain time of the month. I highly recommend it.

Anyway, on to my tips and tricks for the first trimester.

Worrying is normal
Hell! I would be worried if you weren't worried! Like, I was so scared to even take a paracetamol. I was checking everything I used, even down to my mouthwash! I know, daft right? I have come to be a bit more relaxed about it, although last night I did google whether I was allowed pepperoni on my pizza.. 

I also worried about whether I was ready, and still do to some extent. I keep having this reoccurring nightmare about giving birth, and all that not so nice stuff, but then I have this amazing, almost euphoric feeling of what I am doing (growing a human isn't easy guys!) and it makes it all worth it.

Read all about it
And I don't mean Dr. Google. I am guilty of it too, but I found buying a book and listening to friends far more reassuring than whatever the internet had to offer. I bought The Day-by-Day Pregnancy book and I absolutely love it. It walks you through each day and gives you plenty of information. I am also really loving the My Pregnancy & Baby Today app.

Nap time
I don't think I have ever slept so much in my life! I did try to fight it at first, which is why I think I suffered so much in the beginning with sickness, but once I figured out that tiredness was a 'morning' sickness trigger I started making nap time a priority. As soon as I would get in from work I would have at least 30 minutes and still not struggle to sleep at bedtime. THAT is how tired pregnancy makes you.

Everything aches
At first it was my back, then my boobs, and then my tummy. I was a little concerned over the latter but apparently it is completely normal and is just a sign of my uterus stretching. I never told you this would be an entirely pleasant post! But it just means I have an excuse to take it easy! No more heavy lifting for me..! That and my boyfriend had taken over cat poop duty. Winner.

Food is your friend
Or maybe not quite. I found at the beginning I was so nauseous. I was even bed ridden for a couple of days as I came to terms with the influx of hormones. But as time went on I sort of found out more of what worked for me when it came to food, and believe me it changes daily!

I completely, and still am, off any sweet foods. For me I have been craving carbs, and meat, lots of meat. I am especially partial to a crisp sandwich FYI. I find when I haven't eaten in a couple of hours I start to feel sick, so if it's not breakfast, lunch, or dinner time I tend to snack on fruit. If I am going out anywhere I have to at least have something in my bag to nibble on.

All in all, it has been an up and down first few months. I have cried at X Factor, had more spots than I usually get in a whole year, gone off my one true love; coffee, and things are starting to feel a little bit tight around the middle.. I am pretty sure it will be worth it in the end though.

If you have any sage words of advice, please leave them in the comments below, they would be greatly appreciated!


Love, Jo.



Surprise! You may, or may not, have already guessed that I am pregnant! Well done if you did though! I haven't exactly hidden it with my constant whinges of tiredness, and that whole bout of morning (noon and night) sickness that I had, but I tried to keep it as secret as I could. But with the first scan over and done with (phew!) I thought it was about time I let you all in on it.

I thought I would document this little journey of mine and I am really sorry if it's something you are not interested in, I promise I won't babble on too much about it. I completely understand though, it wasn't that long ago that I wrote a blog post about not really wanting children at the minute, and not wanting to conform to what other people my age where doing (you can read all about it here) but gosh! How things change.

And before you say it, it was planned. Although, I honestly thought it would take a little longer than it did! You know, really enjoy ourselves..? Nevermind! But if you are thinking about becoming pregnant now, or in the future I used this fabulous little app called PinkPad to see when I was ovulating, and I also used ovulation strips that I purchased from Amazon.. I don't do things by halves do I? However, PinkPad is also a great app for gaining a greater understanding of your periods, moods, and why you might feel the way you do at a certain time of the month. I highly recommend it.

Anyway, on to my tips and tricks for the first trimester.

Worrying is normal
Hell! I would be worried if you weren't worried! Like, I was so scared to even take a paracetamol. I was checking everything I used, even down to my mouthwash! I know, daft right? I have come to be a bit more relaxed about it, although last night I did google whether I was allowed pepperoni on my pizza.. 

I also worried about whether I was ready, and still do to some extent. I keep having this reoccurring nightmare about giving birth, and all that not so nice stuff, but then I have this amazing, almost euphoric feeling of what I am doing (growing a human isn't easy guys!) and it makes it all worth it.

Read all about it
And I don't mean Dr. Google. I am guilty of it too, but I found buying a book and listening to friends far more reassuring than whatever the internet had to offer. I bought The Day-by-Day Pregnancy book and I absolutely love it. It walks you through each day and gives you plenty of information. I am also really loving the My Pregnancy & Baby Today app.

Nap time
I don't think I have ever slept so much in my life! I did try to fight it at first, which is why I think I suffered so much in the beginning with sickness, but once I figured out that tiredness was a 'morning' sickness trigger I started making nap time a priority. As soon as I would get in from work I would have at least 30 minutes and still not struggle to sleep at bedtime. THAT is how tired pregnancy makes you.

Everything aches
At first it was my back, then my boobs, and then my tummy. I was a little concerned over the latter but apparently it is completely normal and is just a sign of my uterus stretching. I never told you this would be an entirely pleasant post! But it just means I have an excuse to take it easy! No more heavy lifting for me..! That and my boyfriend had taken over cat poop duty. Winner.

Food is your friend
Or maybe not quite. I found at the beginning I was so nauseous. I was even bed ridden for a couple of days as I came to terms with the influx of hormones. But as time went on I sort of found out more of what worked for me when it came to food, and believe me it changes daily!

I completely, and still am, off any sweet foods. For me I have been craving carbs, and meat, lots of meat. I am especially partial to a crisp sandwich FYI. I find when I haven't eaten in a couple of hours I start to feel sick, so if it's not breakfast, lunch, or dinner time I tend to snack on fruit. If I am going out anywhere I have to at least have something in my bag to nibble on.

All in all, it has been an up and down first few months. I have cried at X Factor, had more spots than I usually get in a whole year, gone off my one true love; coffee, and things are starting to feel a little bit tight around the middle.. I am pretty sure it will be worth it in the end though.

If you have any sage words of advice, please leave them in the comments below, they would be greatly appreciated!


Love, Jo.



1 comment

  1. Congratulations!! :) I've not had any babies of my own, but I can't wait for when it happens at some point! Though some of the side effects do sound pretty tricky! Hopefully the nausea calms in the second trimester? Alice xxx

    www.woodenwindowsills.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Contact

Powered by Blogger.

Instagram

© FLOURISH & BLOTTINGThe Basic Page