3 May 2016

The Lake District Diaries - Part 2

 Welcome to days 2, 3 & 4 of my Lake District Diaries! Like I said in my previous post I think breaking it down into only a couple of days at a time makes everything a bit more manageable. I can post more pictures and there isn't massive, and unreadable, blocks of text.

On Monday we made the short drive to Sizergh Castle in Kendal. Admittedly, every time we come to the Lake District I see signs for this and want to go but we are either there for a different reason, or we just don't have enough time. It was slightly drizzly but there were clearer skies ahead, so I wasn't worried.

We had the perfect afternoon at Sizergh Castle. As National Trust members we get 'free' entry and we had access to the house and garden on this occasion. It wasn't particularly busy and I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around the grounds looking at the chickens, taking photos of the spring blooms, and being cautious of the beehives.

I then had cream tea in the restaurant, and spent a small fortune in the gift shop.. Well, what are holidays for?

Tuesday was the big day. Hellvellyn. I am kind of glad we did this early on in the week, otherwise I think I would have been dreading it for the whole time we where there. I would be lying if I said there wasn't a time when I wanted to turn around, because I REALLY did, but the fact that it would have been worse going back than going forward tells you how scary it was.

Anyway, I made it, with very few tears. I think coming down was far more painful than going up, and James bought me a mug (trophy) at the end.

Suffice to say I was a little bit sore on Wednesday (Agony is a better word to describe it, but I don't want to come across as too dramatic) so we did the short walk around Esthwaite Water and to Beatrix Potter's house. We have been there before but the sun was shining and it was the perfect day to enjoy the gardens and eat vanilla ice-cream. 

In the evening we had dinner at Sawrey House Hotel. All week I had been craving fish and chips and I was more than delighted to see they had it on the menu. Honestly, it was delicious. I had the bacon and chestnut risotto to start and then the Sawrey House fish and chips, which was actually battered seabass. YUM. The restaurant had the most amazing panoramic views and I just wish now I only had room for dessert.

The last of my Lake District Diaries will be coming soon.

Love, Jo.



SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Sounds lovely! I absolutely love the lakes. Here is my post with lots of good recommendations http://bit.ly/1Uae4o5

    Holly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was lovely. I just want to go back, maybe not climb Hellvellyn again though! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds fab and right up my street the boyfriend and I are looking to go hiking there in the summer, i will know who to hit up for pointers:-) xx
    www.whatrosiewrote.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you really should! It's absolutely beautiful in the summer, if not a little hot and sometimes quite busy. We were looking at the summer months but the prices for accommodation just seem to soar. We will probably do a couple of day trips up that way and maybe tackle Scafell Pike in the autumn.

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig