FLOURISH & BLOTTING

beauty, travel & lifestyle

26 May 2016

Recipe: Chocolate Malt Cake

I have been a bit of a baking machine recently, although I have had a couple of disasters too. I have been absolutely loving whipping up new creations with the help of my KitchenAid, and this chocolate malt cake is absolute heaven. I recently made it for a colleagues birthday, and I think it was fair to say it went down a treat.


Ingredients


Sponge:
30g Malted chocolate drink powder
40g Cocoa powder
225g Softened butter (I use Stork)
225g Caster Sugar
225g Self-raising flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1tsp Vanilla essence
4 Eggs

Icing:
30g Malted chocolate drink powder
2 tbsp Hot milk
125g Softened butter (Again, I use Stork)
250g Icing sugar
50g Melted dark chocolate
Maltesers to decorate.

Method


01. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, around 180 degrees, and line the base of 2 x loose bottomed round baking tins with parchment.

02. Measure the malted chocolate powder and the cocoa powder into a bowl and mix using a paddle attachment, with the eggs.

03. Add all the remaining sponge ingredients and mix until smooth.

04. Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared baking tins, and bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. Usually for the last 10 minutes I cover the tins with foil for a really moist sponge, and to prevent the tops from burning.

05. Once baked all the way through, and after 10 minutes rest time, turn the sponges out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely. 

06. To make the icing; measure the malted chocolate powder into a bowl and add the hot milk. Whisk until smooth and then add the rest of the ingredients. Beat until smooth and the mixture stands up on its own.

07. Place one sponge on a plate and spread over half the icing. Sandwich with the other cake and spread the remaining icing on top. Note: You can do this a lot more extravagantly than me. My style of baking is usually quite messy and impatient!

08. It is completely up to you how you decorate it. I love just crushing up the Maltesers and sprinkling them on top. You could also arrange them around the top and finish off with dark chocolate curls. Fancy.


I also used the same mixture to make cupcakes. It is just so versatile, and tastes amazing.

Happy baking everyone.
Love, Jo.



SHARE:

2 comments

  1. This looks so yummy, I may have to nab the cupcake topped with malteasers idea - they're my favourite!
    Followed you on GFC, I loveeee recipes on my feed :D
    ♥ Fran - www.frannymac.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! They are so easy to make. The cupcakes only took 10 - 15 minutes in the oven. I really need to learn how to pipe icing. At the minute I just dollop it on!

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig