FLOURISH & BLOTTING

beauty, travel & lifestyle

10 Apr 2016

Recipe: Classically Delicious Victoria Sponge

I realised this weekend that I haven't uploaded a recipe in like, forever, and a lot can be said for an amazingly baked Victoria Sponge. I mean, it is the prominent feature of all traditional afternoon tea's across the world! And I have come up with a fail safe recipe for the most perfect one.

Ingredients - Sponge:

320g Caster Sugar
3 Eggs
350g Plain Flour
1.5 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Pinch Salt
250ml Semi-Skimmed (or Whole) Milk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
200g Melted Stork (or Unsalted Butter)

Ingredients - Filling & Decoration:

300ml Whipping Cream
Strawberry Jam
Strawberries
Icing Sugar

Method:

Preheat the oven to gas mark 3 and line the bottom of two spring form tins with baking parchment.

 Put the sugar and eggs in a free standing mixer or mix together with a handheld whisker.

Measure out all the dry ingredients in one bowl and the milk and vanilla essence in another. Then take it in turns incorporating the wet and dry ingredients till everything is evenly mixed.

Add the melted butter and mix well.

Pour the mixture equally into your tins and bake for about 30 minutes. If you notice the top browning too quickly, cover your tins with tin foil for the remainder of the time.  I usually do this anyway. Not only do you get a more even bake, but it helps retain moisture in the sponge.

I feel like as a side note I should warn you, I have the worst oven in the world. I usually go up a gas mark and double the time. You should know your ovens quirks, so just adjust things accordingly.

Once you have checked that both sponges are baked through, leave them to cool in their tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks.

Once cooled completely, you can decorate. For this all you need to do is decide which sponge will be your base and apply a layer of jam, strawberry or otherwise, and then whip up your cream. You can cheat and just buy the squirty stuff, but I prefer whipping my own.

Then for the top, sieve a thin layer of icing sugar and add your halved strawberries any way you see fit.

Enjoy a slice with a cup of tea after a cucumber sandwich or two.

If you are baking today, let me know how yours turned out in the comments box below.

Love, Jo.



SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Looks so yummy!!
    Jabeen x
    http://www.spilling-the-beans.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I could so eat cake everyday if it was medically classified as a healthy food! ha! x

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig