2 Dec 2015

My Nail Care Tips & Tricks

SensatioNail LED Gel Primer Kit
I think it is safe to assume that I love giving myself mani/pedi's. I have been using SensatioNail for over a year now and I can't even imagine going back to normal nail polish now, although Essie colours tempt me on a regular basis.

I have wanted to do a blog post on nail care for ages now with the upcoming party season and the arrival of my new toy.. drumroll please...

The Scholl Velvet Smooth Nail Care System
The Scholl Velvet Smooth Nail Care System

I thought there is no better time! This electronic nail care system is the perfect and easy way to keep your toe and finger nails looking healthy and shiny. You can use it on both toe nails and finger nails, and it has two speed settings. I absolutely detest filing my nails but this little gadget does it for you. Although, it took me a while to get use to not actually doing a back and forth motion with it.

So, here are my tips and tricks for fab nails.

1. Always remove your polish gently - It's not just about the application, correct removal is very important too. If removing a gel nail polish I strongly suggest the SensatioNail removal tools or something similar. The foil wraps are not only a handy design but are also reusable. I hate it when people start to pick off their manicure in front of me.. Something I am definitely not guilty of.. Ever... Ever.

2. Give your nails time to breath - There is probably nothing worse that you can do is to constantly be applying and removing nail polish. I always give my nails a few days just to recuperate and get back some condition. I also make sure I trim/file them regularly just to get rid of some of the weaker parts of the nail after I have had a manicure removed.

3. Always use a good hand moisturiser and cuticle oil - I love Nivea hand creams, and I always carry a tube around with me wherever I goI also think the  Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil is fabulous. I apply it every night before bed and it just keeps my cuticles and skin around my nails nice and supple. I have also used a couple of products by Burt Bee's including their Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream. Don't be fooled by its size either, I still have mine from last Christmas! A cuticle oil is the perfect way to achieve a longer lasting manicure because nutrients like Aloe and Vitamin E help resist breakage and promote nourished nails.

4. Wear your Marigolds - When using any strong detergent like washing up liquid, bleach or cleaning product it's important to keep your hands covered. Not only does it dry out your skin but it also wreaks havoc on your nails!

5. Always use a base/top coat - There is nothing worse than nail staining. My favourite is Revlon Multi Care Base & Top Coat. Also, the hardeners in most base coats can improve the overall health of the nail, therefore allowing it to grow to your desired length.

6. Always 'cap' your nail polishes - Anyone who applies gel nail polish will understand what I mean by this, but if you are applying regular polish it also helps to keep your manicure chip free for longer. All you need to do is run the brush with your top coat along the top of the nail and tada!

7. And don't worry about making a mess - It's always the way when you are trying to be extra careful you suddenly develop the shakes. But have no fear my wobbly friend, when I used to use regular nail polish, I would just soak a cotton bud in nail polish remover and carefully run it around the edges.

8. Cold water cures regular nail polish - Now I was told this years ago and I have always stuck by it. Apparently running your newly set claws under gently running cold water for a couple of seconds will harden the nail polish leaving it is less likely to smear.

Please let me know in the comments of any other tried and tested methods you swear by!

Love, Jo.



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig