20 Oct 2015

Recipe: Lovely Lemon Drizzle Cake

Lovely Lemon Drizzle Cake
Today I had an itch to bake, I was really hankering for a lemon drizzle cake and just look at this weather! Never has 'Drizzle' cake been more amazingly apt. I have never made one of these before, so I was a little bit nervous.

I even had to Google what the rind of a lemon was! I mean, I knew already, I just wanted to make sure.. I couldn't find a recipe that really matched what I wanted to make so I ended up combining two of my favourites, and the result was amazing. I'm the quickest to criticise my own baking, but I can honestly say, this was probably the nicest cake I have ever made.

For the sponge:


320g Caster sugar
3 Eggs
Grated zest of 3 lemons
350g Plain flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
250ml Whole milk
1 Teaspoon vanilla essence
200g Unsalted butter (melted)
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds

For the icing:

Juice of 1 lemon
175g Icing sugar
Poppy seeds

Method


    1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 and mix together the sugar, eggs and lemon zest. I just use a cheap handheld whisk that I bought many moons ago while I save up for my KitchenAid.

    2. Put the flour, baking powder and salt into a separate bowl. In another bowl, combine the milk with the vanilla essence. Then add one-third of the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix well, repeat this process but with the milk mixture. Keep doing this until everything has been added and the mixture is light and fluffy.

    3. Add the melted butter and the poppy seeds and give the mixture one last blast with the whisk.

    4. Pour the mixture into your prepared loaf tin (lined with greaseproof paper is best) and bake in the oven for an hour. After 30 minutes if you find the top burning, cover your cake with tinfoil and pop back in the oven for the remaining time. Also, depending on the size of your loaf tin, I managed to get two medium sized cakes out of this batter, just use your judgement.

    5. Once your cake is out of the oven and the top is a golden brown and passes the knife test, leave it on a wire rack to cool. After about 30 minutes I would say it's safe to start making the icing. If you put icing on a warm cake, it will just melt off. Luckily the icing is the easiest part.

    6. Measure out your icing sugar and put it in a mixing bowl. Then squeeze half a lemon in it to begin with and using a spoon, start to mix. Then just by judgement alone you will see whether you need any more lemon juice. It should be a thick but fluid consistency with no lumps. It is then up to you how you decorate your cake. I just tipped it on and let it drip down the sides. Just don't forget your poppy seed sprinkle finish! And voila! Amazingly tasty lemon drizzle cake on a dreary day.

    Love, Jo.



    SHARE:

    No comments

    Post a Comment

    Blogger Template Created by pipdig